Falcom will release three games on Switch by September 2023, including the upcoming game Ys
Posted on November 10, 2022 by Nicolas in News, Switch
During its last fiscal year earnings report, Falcom took the opportunity to announce that it plans to release three games on Switch in Japan by the end of the current fiscal year, ending in September 2023. Additionally, one of those games set to release will be the next installment in the Ys RPG series, which will launch on Switch alongside the PS5 and PS4 versions of the game.
No further details have been leaked as to what these games will be, although we do have information on some of the content for the upcoming Ys title from an interview that took place in June. Here are some of the notable insights provided in this interview by Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo:
- This will be the 10th (numbered) entry in the Ys saga.
- While it retains the series’ smooth and exhilarating gameplay, other areas are being reconsidered. And even if it’s not quite a
- Soulslike, the challenge is to see if it’s possible to set up a steady-paced, one-on-one combat in which the player
- can observe enemy movements. It’s a lighter Ys-style Soulslike.
- Adol is around the age he was in Ys I & II.
- The story could take place outside the Romun Empire.
- Changing weapon attributes by swapping between party members will change significantly.
- “While we can’t talk about platform(s) at this time, we want a wide range of players to enjoy it, and rejuvenating Adol was perhaps with that in mind. It will be released as we work on different platforms.
- Kondo wants to play Ys titles already released on modern platforms.
- Providing new gameplay elements is vital.
- Whether it’s scenarios, actions or systems, the game will incorporate something new.
The concept art featuring a young Adol hitting the giant bird creature with an unknown woman was also shared during this interview.
We’ll be keeping an eye out for any additional details that may surface for these three Falcom titles.
Source 1, Source 2